I love to cheer the NYC marathon and this year I cheered at mile 9 with Amanda Hart @misshart.
When getting ready to cheer big races here are 3 tips to make is a great experience:
- Bring things that runners need. Often times runners will stop and ask you for things and I like to walk with items that runners have asked for during races.
- Salt – runners sometimes cramp in front of me and I like to be able to help
- Tissues – a lot of runners get runny nose or sinuses while running
- Pretzels – this is more for the salt
- Water or coconut water
- Energy Gels
- Granola bars
- Wear comfortable clothing
- Comfortable shoes are important because you may be standing for long periods of time
- Pants that will allow you to move and bend easily
- Sports bra – sometime a runner needs extra support and why not jump in for a mile or two.
- Bring instruments to cheer and let them know where you are
- A loud mouth (you may need cough drops to tune this up because it can some times give out on you)
Here’s a video of my experience cheering the 2016 marathon and some of the amazing people I saw.